It has been said, 'The devil is in the details', but unfortunately, many modern recounts of Yahushua have left the devils quite out of the details. There is healing of the sick and water into wine, preaching the Gospel and cleansing of sin, His ultimate sacrifice, resurrection and ascension... but where in all that classic Sunday School teaching is the rest of the simple truth?
In contrast, consider the descriptions and summaries in Mark, chapter 1.
1) "The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;"... enter John the Baptist... Yahushua is baptized of him, then led into the wilderness where He rebukes Satan's attempts. Then John is imprisoned, and Yahushua begins to preach the gospel in Galilee. He collects four disciples, and they head to Capernaum.
There are 45 verses in Mark, chapter 1. The first 20 regard what is often standard church fare, ABCs and 123s typically taught.
The following 13 verses -- about 30% (29%, to be exact) of the chapter -- are often left out of the recount..
21) "And they went into Capernaum; and straightway on the sabbath day He entered into the synagogue, and taught.
22) "And they were astonished at His doctrine: for He taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes.
23) "And there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean spirit; and he cried out,
24) "Saying, Let alone; what have we to do with Thee, Thou Jesus of Nazareth? art Thou come to destroy us? I know Thee who Thou art, the Holy One of God.
25) "And Jesus rebuked him, saying, Hold thy peace, and come out of him.
26) "And when the unclean spirit had torn him, and cried with a loud voice, he came out of him.
27) "And they were all amazed, insomuch that they questioned among themselves, saying, What thing is this? what new doctrine this? for with authority commandeth He even the unclean spirits, and they do obey Him.
28) "And immediately His fame spread abroad throughout all the region round about Galilee.
29) "And forthwith, when they were come out of the synagogue, they entered into the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John."... In the next two verses we read how Yahushua heals Simon's mother-in-law, and she ministers to them.
32) "And at even, when the sun did set, they brought unto Him all that were diseased, and them that were possessed with devils.
33) "And all the city was gathered together at the door.
34) "And He healed many that were sick of divers diseases, and cast out many devils; and suffered not the devils to speak, because they knew Him."
The last ten verses describe how the following morning, Yahushua went out early and prayed, how He announced His directive to preach the Gospel elsewhere as well, and how on their way, He healed the leper who said, "If thou wilt, thou canst make me clean."
What 9 year old Sunday school attendee hasn't heard that? We need to be realistic about why the basic account of our Savior would routinely neglect nearly one third of the summary... Imagine going to someone for the truth and getting only 71% of it -- would you agree you'd been cheated? How would we react if we found out 29% of the inheritance we were given was quietly stolen?
The discarded 29% of truth about who Yahushua is, and what He did on Earth is priceless, no believer would deny it. So, why then would over 90% of churches hold it back? Just as if it were the percentage of a large inheritance, the truth has been squirreled away by acting attorneys who have deemed the whole truth a spoil, or are just plain greedy for personal gain.
I don't see how the two are any different at all... The difference between someone stealing part of what was freely given by one's earthly father and someone stealing part of what was freely given by our Heavenly Father is none, except that the receivers in general seem unaffected by the theft.
He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber... The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have more abundantly. - John 10:1,10
With the foretold spiritual warfare escalation surrounding the days preceding Messiah's return, it's a shame such a huge and important chunk of the truth is left out of mainstream church teaching -- especially when we are cautioned that in order to be fully protected in spiritual warfare, we are to put on the 'whole' suit of armor -- not just the 71% that isn't too heavy, and doesn't pinch and bind.
It would be easier for the flock to feel comfortable with the truth of spiritual warfare if it had the whole truth upon which to stand firm.
Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. - Ephesians 6:10,11